Delhi Tamil Education Association Sr.Sec. Schools
From one teacher-one pupil position to Seven Sr. Sec. Schools and over seven thousand students and five hundred teachers in a period of just 75 years is a proud record for any institution. The South Indians of Delhi-Madrasis, according to the friends of the North, are known for their richness of intellect and community life, though economically less fortunate. When our pioneers were at establishing the first school in 1923, the then small community in the capital raised the necessary wherewithal by way of small voluntary contributions. There was a breakthrough and the pattern was set for the successors. On Vijyadasami Day in 1923, the first Madrasi Education Association School was established in Simla, with one teacher and one pupil by Shri. P.H.S. Iyer. In January 1924, a primary school was opened in New Delhi. This was given recognition by Education Authority in 1925.
The Higher Secondary Department was started in 1946 and in 1949, the first batch of students appeared for the Delhi Higher Secondary Examination. The Silver Jubilee of the Association was celebrated on 5th March 1950. In view of the increasing demand and necessity, two new Primary Schools-one each at Lodi Estate and Karol Bagh were opened in 1951 and 1953 respectively. Following completion of its own building for the Lodi Estate School in 1955, the Higher Secondary classes were shifted from Mandir Marg to Lodi Estate in 1956. A Middle school at Lakshmibai Nagar (then known as East Vinay Nagar) was opened in 1958. The Mandir Marg School was again raised to the status of a Higher Secondary School in 1959. In 1960, the late Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the Prime Minister of India, laid the foundation stone of the Lakshmi Bai Nagar School. The Moti Bagh Primary School was opened in 1961 and Lakshmibai Nagar School was upgraded to Higher Secondary status in 1962.